I can't dance , listening lesson , ability lesson ( can and can't ) .
To practice the grammar of ( can / can't ) for ability in the context of pop stars .
To provide practice in listening for specific information in the same context .
Procedure (39-45 minutes)
* I 'll play a short video of Michael Jackson's pop song " beat it " and ask students " Do you know him ? , what kind of this music ? "
* I 'll show ss a picture of The voice program advertisement and ask them " Do you know this program ? What kind of this program ? Is it only for Arabic music ? " ( in 2 min. ) * Then I 'll show ss the advertisement of pop stars ( E.X : 1 - a ) and ask them to read it then , give them matching task and ask them to guess the meaning of these words ( advertisement -quality - channel - artistic - ability ) from the context and match the word with it's definition and ask them " what 'll you do ? read first or only match ? " * Then , I 'll ask CCQS for each word : ( advertisement / Is it for asking someone to work for you or for something that you need ? Is it a set of words or pictures in a news-paper or on television ? ) ( quality / star quality should be good or bad ? ) ( channel / Is it in television ? can you change it ? what do you use to change it ? ) ( artistic / Is it a skill in painting , drawing or music ? Is it to be an artist ? ) ( ability / Is it a skill or a power to do something ? ) and I 'll write every word on the board and ask ss about the words class and ask them to repeat after me . * I 'll focus on the photos of three people and ask ss " who do you think 'll be a star and has star quality ? and elicit the answers from them then tell them to listen and we 'll know the answer after listening . ( in 2 min. ) * I 'll tell ss that they are going to listen to the three people sing , play the guitar , and dance , and then ask them to complete ( E.X : 1 - B ) then ask them ICQ " what 'll you do listen only or listen and complete? " and then check their answers in pairs then ask them about their answers . ( in 6 min.) * I 'll ask them again about the winner and why ( E.X : 1 - c ) and then play the tape for ss to hear who is the winner . ( in 2 min )
* I 'll ask ss to complete ( E.X : 1 - d ) then ask them to check answers in pairs then ask them to tell me about their answers . ( in 3 min. )
* I 'll clarify the meaning by giving feed back by telling ss that " I 'll ask you some questions if is it positive do that (good) , if is it negative do that (bad) : (ask ICQ " if is it positive you will do ? and if is it negative you 'll do ? ") - I can read . - I can't play football . * Then I 'll ask them " ( can you speak English ? ) Is it negative , positive or question ? ( in 2 min. ) * I 'll clarify the form by substitution tables for these sentences : ( in 3 min. ) - I can dance . - she can't dance . - can he dance? - what can you do ? * I 'll clarify the phonology by asking ss to do ( EX : 2 - a and b ) * I 'll ask ss to read the dialogue in ( 1 min. ) ( E.X : 2- a ) and take care about the stressed underlined words and I 'll explain that we stressed them more strongly and we stressed the other words more quickly and I'll ask CCQ " Which are strong the underlined words or the other words ? " . Then I 'll ask them to listen and repeat each sentence and I 'll ask them ICQ " you 'll repeat all sentences or one by one ? " . Then , I 'll play the tape . (in 4 min. ) * I 'll give ss a minute to read the dialogue again and complete ( E.X : 2 b ) in pairs then check answers for whole class . ( in 4 min. )
* I 'll write a positive and negative sentences on the board and underline the stressed words " I can dance . / I can't dance . " and ask ss " how can we pronounce it ? " then I 'll explain the difference between them , highlighting the much longer sound in can't . then I 'll write on the board can / ken / can't / k&nt / American / ka:nt / British then I 'll drill them . ( in 3 min ) * I 'll tell ss that they 'll listen to the tape and if the sentence is positive write + and if it's negative write - then ask them ICQ " If it's positive you 'll write ? and if it's negative you 'll write ? " then , I 'll play the tape then ask ss to compaire their answers in pairs then ask them about the answers . ( in 3 min. )
* I 'll ask ss to do ( E.X : 1 - e ) * I 'll ask ss to four sentences about their abilities and I 'll ask each other , focus on the bubbles and tell them that " if you want to ask you can say " can you .... ?" and if you can , you can say " yes , I can . " if you can't , you can say " No, I can't " " then I 'll drill the question and short answer . * Then I 'll give them feedback on language and content . ( in 7 min ) .