SMART English Week 3 Day 5
Intermediate IELTS level
In this lesson, students will be able to learn how to answer and practise at least 3 questions in IELTS Speaking Part 3.
In this lesson, students will be able to learn the differences between 'make' and 'cause' and do some practices.
Procedure (96-120 minutes)
- Ss do test for 20 minutes. - Ss correct answers and calculate marks. - Ss ask questions/T shows where answers can be found on flips. - T highlights some tricky parts of the test (Q14, Q18-22)
- (f1) T brings ss' attention onto the aim of the day. - (f2) T shows ss 3 photos. - Ss write as many words as they can imagine individually. - Ss check with partners. - Whole class feedback.
- (f3) Ss circle the right answer to questions. - Whole class feedback.
- (f4) T highlights language using Cambridge Learner's Dictionary.
- T clarifies the meaning ('Cause' sth negative, 'Make' can be followed by anything positive, negative or neutral). - T elicits from ss and/or gives more examples. - Ss answer questions on f4. - T highlights 'Cause' + Noun / Adjective + Noun (It causes damage. / It causes widespread damage.) 'Make' + Noun / Pronoun + Adjective (It makes happiness. / It makes me happy.)
- (f5/6) Ss do exercises. - Whole class feedback.
- (f6) Students in 4 teams need to race to write the correct answer on a post-it note and stick answer onto the board as quick as possible. - Whole class feedback.
- (f9-11) Ss read answers and guess the questions. Set time. - Whole class feedback. - T nominates ss to highlight use or 'make' and 'cause'. - (f12) T tells ss tips to this speaking task. - (f13) Ss make notes and try to incorporate the tips in their answers. - Ss then rehearse and speak. - (f14) Partners give feedback. - Delayed feedback from T.