Pre Intermediate A2 level
To provide clarification of prepositions of movement in the context of Travel - to work/holiday.
To provide detailed, deduction and inference reading practice using a text about prepositions of movement in the context of travel - to work, holiday.
Procedure (45-59 minutes)
This section will set the context of travel in Istanbul. 1. I will use pictures to depict all of the different types of transport available in Istanbul on the board. 2. Then I will elicit sentences from the students asking them how they travelled to school from home. 3. If any of the students include prepositions of movement i will write it on the board and underline the preposition of movement.
1. Using the prepared handout place it ready. Instruct the students and tell them they are going to ready a story. ICQ. 2. First of all give them the title of the story and write it on the board. Elicit what they believe the story is about. 2.a Secondly give them the first sentence of the story and write it on the board. Again elicit what they now think the story is about. 2.b Thirdly write on the board the final sentence. Elicit now what the students think the story is about. 3. Finally give the students the whole story to read. Ask the students how what they read differed to what they thought the story is about. Then is they have not worked it out by this point give them the context of the lesson - Travelling to work.
1. Tell the students that individually they are going to match the movement of preposition with the pictures. 2. ICQ that the students understand and then hand them the diagrams with the answers. 3. After this write an answer key on the board.
1. Use a table on the board to give a meaning to each preposition eliciting from the students what each drawing is. 2. To get to the form the best way to do this would be to elicit exampled from the students to then write the form onto the board. 3. Pronunciation drills as part of a sentence.
1. Using the previous handout given to them of the story ask them to go through and underline and prepositions of movement they see within the text. ICQ 2. Give them the answer key on a sheet to check their underlined answers.
1. Use the handout of the story of Tom's morning with the prepositions removed. Instruct them to turn over their previous story pages and not to look at them. Chest read the new handout and explain that they will be filling in the blanks with the prepositions of movement. 2. Handout the story and individually allow them to fill it in. Once you have seen most of these complete this get the students to peer check in pairs their answers.
1. In this section although it is a reading lesson it will give the students a chance to exercise their vocal ability with the use of the target language in the context of travelling to work. 2. I will put the students into groups of 4 in which they must describe to other people in the group how they travel to school using the prepositions. ICQ and CCQ. 3. Give them 6-7 minutes to talk.