SMART English Week 3 Day 4
Intermediate Core level
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to use at least 4 useful phrases and 4 pieces of vocabulary about personal qualities learned to nominate someone they admire.
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to understand the meaning of at least 10 words/phrases about personal qualities.
Procedure (104-120 minutes)
- T tells ss the aims of the day. (F1&2) - Play 'A to Z Adjectives of Personal Qualities' (F3) - Whole class feedback - T tells ss to use the adjectives of personal qualities to answer the questions on flip. (F4)
(Test) - Ss look at list of vocab on SB pg42 (f5). T encourages ss to tick words/phrases they don't know. (Teach) - T teaches those ss don't understand. - T teaches pronunciation/word stress. - Ss write + for positive - for negative adjectives (Test) - Ss match vocab with meanings (Grass Skirt) - Whole class feedback (f6). - Ss add names to 3 categories (f7) and use at least 3 pieces of learned vocabulary to describe the people written. - Whole class feedback - Ss make sentences true for them (f8). - Whole class feedback.
- T asks CCQs (f9). - Ss read about the award and answer. - T teaches vocab if any. - T asks ss what they know about the people on f10. - Predict why they might be nominated for the award. - Listen to check (Listen for gist) - T gives H/O and ss listen again to write reasons speakers give for each nomination. - Whole class feedback.
- Ss listen and grab phrases they hear. - Then, T asks ss to put phrases into 4 functions i.e. Intro, Describe Achievement, Describe Qualities and Summarising. - Whole class feedback (f12).
- Ss choose a person to nominate and make notes. - Ss will prepare for 4 areas i.e. Brief career details, Personal qualities, Achievements, Influence on others - Ss record their first speech. - Trains & Stations - Then, ss record their final speech. - Ss listen to their recordings for reflection while T puts delayed feedback on the board.
- T puts good and bad language on the board - Ss can try to correct errors. - Each error entitles a game of Kaboom.