SMART English Week 3 Day 1
Intermediate IELTS level
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to read at least 1 IELTS passage and label at least 1 diagram by following some reading steps.
By the end of this lesson, students will be able to practise at least one IELTS Speaking Part 2 and 3 and give each other feedback.
Procedure (97-120 minutes)
- T introduces aim of the day (f1) - Play 'A to Z Transport' as a warmer (f2) - Whole class feedback - T asks ss to discuss the significance of numbers and phrases on f3 in relation to IELTS Reading - Whole class feedback. - T asks questions on f4. Ss discuss in pairs. - Whole class feedback.
- T shows f5 and encourages ss to predict what they are going to read. - Whole class feedback. - T asks ss to list advantages and disadvantages in pairs or groups. (f6) - Whole class feedback.
- T sets 3 mins max for checking predictions. - Whole class feedback.
- T asks ss to underline the 8 words in the list. - Ss read the sentences and deduce their meanings. - Ss match vocabulary with meanings. - Whole class feedback - Check and teach if there is emergent language. - Check and teach pronunciation features.
- T tells ss discuss and look at gaps and deduce what words are needed. - Whole class feedback. - T tells ss to read instructions. CCQs - Ss answer questions. - Ss check answers with partners. - Whole class feedback.
- T shows IELTS Speaking Part 2 to ss on f13. - T also highlights tips. - Ss have 2 mins to prepare and make notes. - Ss record their speech for 2 mins. - Peer listening and give feedback based on IELTS Speaking Band Descriptors. - If time allows, ss record a second time and compare with the first. - Whole class feedback. - Show questions on f14 and ss discuss. - T nomonates ss to answer. - Instant corrections.
- Ss completes exercise in WB on their own within set time. - Whole class feedback - If necessary, check meanings of vocabulary.