Choose souvenirs from your country
For students to develop their abilities to listen for gist and details within the context of choosing souvenirs from your country
For students to learn new vocabulary and be able to produce their own ideas in speaking in the context of "souvenirs from your country"
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
- Set in the context by talking about a personal situation where you have to buy some souvenirs from Istanbul as gifts for your friends and family back home. Ask the ss " What are the type of souvenirs l can present to my friends and family?". Gather some answers.
- Handout the self prepared task and ask the ss to work individually and to match the words to their definition, give them 3 min. ICQ: Are you going to work in pairs? No. - Ask ss to compare their answers before gathering FB. Ask the ss to unfold the paper for the Answer Keys. CCQ: Are souvenirs used to remind us of place, events, and people? Yes. - Go over the pronunciation of the vocabulary items and focus on the drilling and the stress. - Chest the Ho and draw the ss attention to the pictures used in the text and ask them to work in pairs on Exercise 1. Give them 3 min, and pick a background music to help you keep track on time. ICQ: Are you going to work alone? No. Are you going to keep working after the music stops? No. - Write down the answer keys on the board while they are working on the task, then after they finish, give them a chance to check their answers. - Give the ss 2 min to work on exercise 2 and after that conduct FB
- Chest the handout and draw the ss attention to exercise 3 and ask the ss to work on the exercise individually. Play the audio and monitor the ss closely to make sure that they are on the right track. Make sure not to disturb the ss while monitoring and give them time to focus on the audio. ICQs: Are you going to work in pairs? No. - Write down the answer key on board and ask the ss to check their answers.
- Chest the HO and ask the ss to work on Exercise B. - Point out the table they need to work on, give them a chance to read it and note the information they need to listen for. Ask them to listen carefully to the audio and try to individually answer the questions on the table ICQs: Are you going to work in pairs? No. - Ask the ss to compare their answers before asking for FB. - Write down the answer key on the board and ask the ss to check their answers. - Chest the second page of the HO and draw the ss attention to the language box and ask them to listen to the audio again and check the sentences they heard. - Gather feedback. Handout the answer key sheet for ss to check their answers
- Ask the ss to change pairs and then ask them to work in pairs and try to think of specific souvenir from their own country they can give to each member of the Taylor family. - Give them 4 min of work before gathering the FB. Play some music on the background to keep track of time. ICQs: Are you going to work individually? No. - Wrap up the class by going over the vocabulary and review the pronunciation.