The Shopping Basket
To provide gist, scan and detailed reading practice using a text about The shopping basket in the context of diet habbites
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of food
Procedure (39-52 minutes)
* A picture is displays on the screen of a man from Guinness Record who had "strangest diet" * A discussion, in group of 3, is established "what SS think a strangest diet could be?" * Information about this strange diet are displayed on the screen. * SS discuss the information shown. *Teacher collects feedback.
* Teacher asks SS using a slide show to prompts SS with necessary language for the following discussion: 1. what "new" food products have you eaten for the first time in the last three years? 2. when you go shopping for food, do you know what you want to buy- or do you choose things because you see them in the shop? 3. do you buy ready-made food? why? why not? 4. are you a healthy eater? * SS in pairs take turns to talk about them selves. * SS swap pairs to tell the other student about what they talked about. * Teacher monitors and prompts when needed. * Teacher collects feedbacks.
* SS work individually to match the words with their definitions. * Once SS finish, they check their answers in pairs. * Teacher collects feedbacks.
* Teacher chests the text and point to the picture, first & last paragraph. * SS skim the text quickly to decide which tittle suits the text. (set a timer 2mins) * SS work individualy first then check their answer in pairs. * Teacher collects feedbacks.
* Students read again to circle the products at the present time and underline the ones that are no longer in the basket. * Once SS finish, they check their answers in pairs. * While the students work teacher writes the answers on the board for SS to check.
* Teacher chests handout and asks SS to read the text again to answer questions in section 1 (page 86). * SS work individually, then check their answers in pairs. * Teacher passes out answer key for SS to check their answers.
* SS discuss in groups of 3: 1. the differences between the typical British shopping basket & a typical basket in their country. 2. the change of eating habits in the last 20 years. 3. typical shopping basket in 20 years' time. * SS mingle around the class and tell other SS what their group think. * Teacher collects any interesting feedbacks!! * Teacher pin points any errors made during the lesson and corrects them with the class.
* SS watch the video to note down surprising information. * Teacher displays a video about the man, who had a strange diet, from the Guinness Record. * SS then discuss what is the most surprising information to them. * Teacher collects feedbacks.