To practice the grammar of using adjectives to describe nouns.
To practice vocabulary of colors and common adjectives in the same context.
Procedure (31-45 minutes)
- Play " the name game " with them. - Start by drawing my name through a variety of simple shapes and begin to ask them if they know the shapes and elicit the answers. - After getting my name on the board, I am going to provide them with a blank paper to do the same and get their names sketched. - Choose a partner and do the pair check. - Ask them to fold the paper and hang it on the tip on a chair so that I can remember their names.
- Put 3 words on the board ( Egypt - Sky - Zamalek ) - Divide the class into two teams and give them titles. - Give each team two minutes to come up with as many adjectives as possible to describe these nouns. - At the end of the time, have a reader from each team read their list aloud. - They get one point for every adjective that the other team did not list. - The first team to get five points wins.
- The game used in the lead-in is also exposure as it contains some of the TL. - Write down the adjectives - they collected for each word - on the board in the right order. - Drill the right pronunciation for each line. - Change the word "Egypt" and put "US" instead and ask the Ss about what would change in the adjectives on the board? - provide exposure by discussing the Ss' opinions with them and commenting on their answers
* Have 3 flashcards - one has a picture of (an egg) and the other has a picture of (a chicken) and the last has the adj (small) - for the activity. * Ask for candidates to help me with this activity and choose 2 of them. * Each one of them will hold a flashcard and stand in front of the rest Ss. * Ask the Ss "Which comes first, the egg or the chicken ?" and let them have their debate on that and by the end of it, I tell them it doesn't matter what comes first. but what matters most if we change the word "egg" with the adj "small". Then what comes first? * Elicit the answer to my question and start explaining the rule on the board that adjectives must come before nouns. * Use their examples - they made in the lead in - to emphasize the rule. * Use a different set of flashcards with the words ( samlls & Chickens ) and ask the Ss about their opinion and elicit the rule (Adjectives don't change before a plural noun). * Use their examples - they made in the lead in - to emphasize the rule by turning the adjectives to the plural and ask them if they agree or not
- Give the Ss my instructions and demonstrate the 1st example with them then deliver the handouts to solve the 1st task. - Give them 1 min to do the task. - Ask them to check with their pair. - Give them feedback. - Move to give my instructions for the 2nd task and demonstrate the 1st example with them then let them do it. - Ask them to check with their pair. - Give them feedback.
* Give instructions: make eight phrases ( adj + noun ) for things in the pictures. * Demonstrate the 1st example with the Ss, e.g. a full moon. * Ask CCQs. * Deliver the handouts to the Ss.
* Divide the class into groups of two. * Ask the Ss to prepare for a debate to defend their team. * Provide a model and demonstration first * Give them three minutes to make eight phrases ( adj + noun ) for things in the pictures. * The team to get more phrases wins.