To provide clarification of the key vocabulary in the context of driving. I am going to teach compound nouns and I will give the students tasks so that they reinforce the meaning of them.
To practice the TL through speaking. This will instill students with confidence and they will practice the tasks related with fluency & accuracy.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
HANGMAN * Teacher draws separate lines on the board and explains: SS should guess the word before the man is hanged.
* SS, in pairs/ group of 4, discuss a good & bad driver they know, and why do they think that driver is good/bad? * Teacher monitors. * Once SS finish, pairs/ group swap and share thoughts about what they have discussed. * Teacher collects feedbacks.
* Teacher displays pictures, picture by picture, on screen. * Teacher elicits target vocabulary, by asking questions and pointing to the picture. * At the end of each slide the right answer shows up on screen.
* Teacher displays the slideshow again and asks CCQs when necessary: speed limit driving licence seat belt one-way street motorway no-parking zone
* Teacher displays the slideshow again but this time with phonetics description and word stress. * Teacher points to the stress and demonstrates. * SS practice drilling in choral, word by word.
* Teacher writes couples of TL on the board. * Teachers elicits which part of speech is the TL, and shows this on the board using different colors. * Teachers explains the structure called compound nouns, two or more nouns, one noun modified by other noun.
* Teacher chests handout & asks SS to fill in the gaps with words from the box. * Students work alone. * Once SS finish, they check in pair or group of 3. * Teacher provides answer key.
* SS work in pairs, to talk about what annoy them most about other drivers, & then they tell what kind of drivers they are. * Once SS had a good discussion, they mingle to find someone to tell them about what they have talked about. * When SS finish, they go back to their places. * Teacher collects feedbacks.
* Throughout the lesson Teacher notes some errors done by students. * Teacher establishes error correction. * In case SS are capable of producing and using the TL, teacher praises and end the lesson.