For students to be able to use was/were forms appropriately
For students to be able to talk about their own or others' life events using was/were
Procedure (47-60 minutes)
- Open the class by asking the ss questions about the TV programmes they have watched when they were children. Then ask the ss to come on board and write down the name of their fav tv programme, make sure this won't take more than 3 min. - Draw the ss attention to the names on the board and ask them which one did they like and what was it about.
- Chest the handout and draw the ss attention to the photos in page 60, ask them to work on exercise 1 in pairs. Gather the answers after 2 min. - Divide the class into two groups, ask them to chose a name for their groups. Write down the names on board to keep score of the correct answers, then chest the page 61 and ask them to work on exercise 2 on page 6. Give them 3min to work. - Pick a song from the internet, and ask them to stop working once the song is finished. ICQs: Are you going to work alone? No. Are you going to keep working when the song is off? No. - Gather answers and keep track of score on the board, then get them to listen to the audio for error correction.
- Write down the sentences in the grammar box,write the was/were forms in different colors. - Show the ss the use of was/were born, and explain the usage of were in plural cases starting with the subject You. CCQ: Do we use Were when we have single subject/object? no - When do we use Was? when there's a single subject/object. - Get them to complete the gaps in the grammar box individually. - Monitor closely to check if they are making any errors. - Ask the ss to compare their answers before gathering FB.
- Chest the handout, ask the ss to work on exercise 1 in Practice part. Do the first example with the students to illustrate how it should be done. Ask them to work individually. ICQs: Are you going to work in pairs? No. - Ask ss to compare their answers before giving FB. Try to correct the pronunciation of the forms if there's any problem with it. - Ask the ss to work on exercise 2a individually. Give them 3 min of work. ICQs: Do you have 5 min of work? No, 3 min. - Gather the FB, and then ask the ss to listen to Audio 7.2 to check their answers. - Practice the pronunciation of was/were to make sure that there's no problem.
- Ask the ss to change their position in order to have different partners to work on the last exercise. Explain how it should be done by working with one of the students to set an example. - Give them 5 min to work and try to monitor them closely to make sure that they are on the right track. - Wrap the class with one last pronunciation exercise and some delayed error corrections.