To provide practice of language used for giving advice and asking for ones. in the context of Life decision making
To provide practice of appropriacy in context of giving advice
Procedure (44-67 minutes)
- Talk about an real life problem that you are facing, and ask the students to give you an advice. For example; what is the easiest way to learn Turkish language. Gather some answers. - Ask the students to work in pairs, one of them take the role of a person who needs help, and his/her peer will try to give him an advice. - After 2 min ask the students for a feedback
- Write three words (Toothache, Lost, Clothes) and ask the students to work in pairs ad give the appropriate advice for each situation. The task should be in role play, one will be the person in need of help, the other is the one giving advice. Give them three min to work then ask for a feedback. ICQs: Are you going to work individually? No. Do you have 3 min to work? Yes.
- Elicit some advice giving forms and write them on the board as a reference. Gather at least 5 forms that are essential to the general understanding of the lesson. - CCQs: Do we give advice when we want help, or another person needs help? - Take 3 min to drill the form of advice giving, then write it on the board. Set the forms in order from weaker to stronger. - Draw the students to the first exercise, and allow them time to listen to audio. Give them 3 min to work on the task individually. ICQs: Are you going to work in pairs? No. Are you going to write down your answers? Yes. - Get the students to compare the answers with their partners, then conduct a WCFB.
- Draw the student's attention to exercise 2.5 and replay the audio again. Give them 5 min to work on the task individually. ICQs: Are you going to work in pairs? No - After that ask them to compare their answers then ask for a feedback. - Acknowledge the correct answers and correct the wrong ones.
-Hand out the scripted dialogue in page 141 and ask the students to work on exercise 3 in pairs. Allow them 5 min then ask for a FB. ICQ: Are you going to use the new handout? Yes. - Make sure to go over the pronunciation of the TL.
- Ask ss to work individually on the exercise 4. Allow them 3min, then ask ss to peer check their answers. Ask for FB after 2 min.
- Ask the students to work in groups of three and do the exercise number 5. Give them 3 min ICQs: Are you going to work alone? No. - Divide the Students into As and Bs and Cs...etc and then ask them to change their places and join their pairs. After they settle down in their new positions, draw their attention to exercise 6. Allow them 5 min then ask for FB. - Change the pairs and ask them to do exercise 7.
- Wrap up the class by doing delayed error-correction if necessary.