To provide process and product writing practice of biographies in a context of famous football player biography.
To provide scan and detailed reading practice in the context of famous football player.
Procedure (50-61 minutes)
- The teacher shows the students 3 pictures of 3 players and ask them to choose the picture of Cristiano Ronaldo. - The teacher divides the students into 4 groups and asks them to write all information they know about Cristiano Ronaldo. They have 2 minutes to finish the activity. Each student is going to speak 30 seconds. - The presenter of each group presents his group outcome in 1 minute. ICQs: - Are you going to answer these questions in 5 minutes? - Are you going to work in groups or pair? - Are you going to speak about your best actor?
- The teacher make the students read this passage to answer this question: Do you think the writer of this passage consider Cristiano Ronaldo as a bad player? Why? "Cristiano Ronaldo was born in 1985. He is one of the best players in the world. Ronaldo became a football superstar playing for English team Manchester United, Spain's Real Madrid and for Portugal. He regularly scores wonderful goals. Ronaldo started kicking a ball around when he was three. His skill was clear to everyone then and by ten years old, two of Portugal's top clubs wanted to sign him. He joined Sporting Lisbon and became the only player in their history to play for the Under-16, Under-17, Under-18, B team and first-team within one season. His skills soon attracted Europe's big teams. He joined Manchester United in 2003. He helped the team win nine cups, including the UEFA Champions League. He also picked up the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2008. In 2009, Ronaldo joined Real Madrid and became the most expensive footballer in history. In his second season, he scored 53 goals. In 2012, Diego Maradona said Ronaldo was "the best player on the world." - The students have 3 minutes to answer this question. They are going to read in pairs. One of each pair presents the answer in 1 minute. ICQs: - How many minutes do you have to read the passage? - Are you going to read in group or in pairs?
- The teacher gives the students 5 pieces of paper. Each one of them includes one title. and ask them to match these 5 pieces to the five paragraphs of the passage. - The students are going to work in groups. Each one of them should match one piece of paper. They have 6 minutes to end this activity. One of each group presents the answers. * The titles: 1- Who is Cristiano Ronaldo? 2- Clear Skill. 3- First Team. 4- First Personal Reward 5- The best in the world. ICQs: - Are you going to write your opinions? - How many minutes you have to answer? - Are you going to speak in group or in pairs?
- GW to make brain storming. Each student says his ideas about a biography of his father. It is useful for them to get ideas for productive activity. - They have 4 minutes to finish this activity. Each student should write the all ideas in his own paper. Each presenter of the team has 1 minutes to present team’s ideas. ** I choose their fathers because it is possible to have students do not know enough information to write about. Even if this person is famous. ICQs: - Are you going to read the passage again? - Are you going to work in pairs or in groups? - How many minutes each team has to present?
- Each student has 10 minutes to write about his father biography. ICQs: - How many minutes do you have to write? - Are you going to write about Cristiano Ronaldo? - Are you going to write in pairs?
- SS work to revise his pair’s writing and give them the chance to edit the mistakes and make their final version. - They are going to work in pairs, they have 8 minutes to end this activity. ICQs: - Are you going to work in pairs or alone? - Are you going to revise yourself passage?
- The teacher provide the student with his feedback.