Unit 5/ Writing
9th Grade level
Students will be able to write a small paragraph about their dream house
Introduce students to new vocabulary
enhance the detailed reading sub-skill
Procedure (39-49 minutes)
- The teacher will show students pictures of a (house, apartment, flat, farmhouse) and try to elicit the language if possible, and if not the teacher will give it away and drill with the students. - Students answer the questions in exercise 1, page 47 S-B
- The teacher will pre-teach some blocking vocabulary(stairs, lift) - Students will be asked to read the text silently for 2 minutes - The teacher will read the text aloud to model pronunciation and clarify items which may prove difficult for students. - The teacher will give the chance to some students to read the text. - Students will be asked to read the text again and answer the follow-up questions in exercise number 2.
- The teacher will rely on the questions in exercise 3 to help students accumulate some ideas which will help them in the while-writing stage: - where is your dream house: downtown, in a foreign country, in the countryside, near the beach....... - How many rooms are there in your dream house: 2,3,5 - What are they: kitchen, living room, bathroom, bedroom........ - Why do you like your dream house: I like my dream house, because.......... - The teacher may present some adjective to help them: big, small, cozy, comfortable, beautiful......
- Students make their first attempt to write the paragraph. - The teacher will monitor and help students. - after giving the students 10 minutes to write the first draft, the teacher will write a model paragraph for the students to copy down on their notebooks and also to compare to the one they have written.
- Students will be asked to back at home use their first draft and model paragraph provided to write their final draft.