upper intermediate level
learners will be able to:
-recall functional language related to suggestion and giving advice
- Discuss divorce and its consequences
- Apply related language and vocab in speaking and writing
- Compare two situations and assess the advantage and disadvantage of each.
- develop the students’ listening skills
Procedure (47-65 minutes)
- students work in pairs to make as many words as they can using the letters of (relationships). Give them a time limit of 2 minutes, then check back their answers. There is one word they can make using all the letters: it is RELATIONSHIP. Tell the students that today’s class is about relationships, marital relationships. - Show students a photo of my family - ask the students what they think about us as a family?are we a on good terms,
-Show a conflict case between me and my husband. -Students work in pairs to give advice - peer check - share with the class
-Students do the task in two groups -They plan ta divorce settlement.
- Students prepare a short oral report to tell the class their divorce plan. - They then practise what they are going to say in their groups.
-Students then report back to the class orally -Students Vote for best plan.
-I highlight the language that the students used during the report phase to elicit the desired vocab. - write the unknown words on board, highlight the form and pronunciation - students drill chorally and individually
-Ss are handed the ideas that will be in the video un arranged and are asked to read it in 1 minute. -Ss listen to a psychiatrist talking about how to take care of kids during and after divorce. -Ss re-arrange ideas during listening -After listening check together. -Ss asked if they would like to listen again -Ss are handed the transcript either if they will listen again or not -teacher give feed-back
-S are asked to guess the meaning of underlined words -Ss peer check - T gives feedback
-Ss mingle together to discuss the topic further to he;p them in their writing assignment
-Students write an article about divorce at home, and get it next time for peer- checking, then feed-back for students individually to self correct their articles