TP7. A Day Out
By the end of the lesson, learners will have had the chance to read for specific information in the context of spending a day out.
By the end of the lesson, learners will have spoken about their own plans for a day out.
By the end of the lesson, learners will have listened for detail in the context of a family planning a day out.
Procedure (36-47 minutes)
1. Tell Ss where you go for a day out giving different examples using the pictures in the PPt 2. Ask them to talk about their weekend and where they can go for one day 3. Nominate some Ss to share with the class
1. Show Ss picture of safari park 2.Elicit from them the name 3. Ask CCQs a. Is it like a zoo? yes b. Is it open or closed? open 4.Show them picture of a safari boat trip and ask "If you take a boat in a safari park, what would that be called?" 5. Elicit then display answer 6.Ask: If you go on a tour, is it better to go alone or to have someone explain what you see? 7. Elicit the word 'guide' through pictures in the presentation. 8. Then explain that a tour with a guide is a 'guided tour'
1. Divide Ss into two groups A,B for a 'Jigsaw reading activity' 2. Give group A Text A asked them to - Read Text A and answer questions 1-4 3. Give group B Text B and ask them to - Read Text B and answer questions 5-8 4- Ask ICQs - Will you work alone or together? alone - How many questions will you answer? 4 - Group A ,which questions will you answer ? 1,2,3,4 - Group B, which questions will you answer ? 5,6,7,8 5- Ask Ss to find the answer key stuck on the back of their chairs 6- Ask Ss to pair up with a member of the other group and ask them the other set of questions: Group A will ask questions 5,6,7,8 Group B will ask questions 1,2,3,4 7- Ask ICQs Group A, which questions will you ask? 5,6,7,8 Group B, which questions will you ask? 1,2,3,4
1. Set the context by telling Ss that they will listen to the Wilson family who are trying to decide where to spend Saturday. 2. Ss listen for the first time to answer the question: Where do they decide to go? 3. Give Ss time to read question B 4. Now they listen to decide whether the sentences are true or false. 5.Model the first one with them 6. Give them about 3 minutes to answer then check in pairs 7. Provide the answer on the screen
1. Give Ss a minute to think about where they want to spend their holiday and why 2. Pair them up to share their ideas and decide where they would like to go 3. They share their choice with the class 4. Start an open class discussion to choose a place to go to
1. Allot 2 or 3 minutes to provide Ss with feedback after the speaking activity