TP 7 CELTA
To provide gist and specific information listening practice using a text about rules in the context of annoying rules
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of annoying rules
Procedure (42 minutes)
1) Display a picture of "a clamped car"; and elicit the word "wheel clamp". 2) Ask CCQs: Did the driver break a rule? Yes Can he drive his car now? No 3) Model and drill "wheel clamp"; then write it on the board and highlight the form (noun). 4) Ask them to discuss in pairs other rules related to driving.
1) Display a picture for people who are getting on the bus and elicit "get on/board" the bus by asking "what are they doing?" Model and drill "board the bus" then highlight the form on the board. 2) Elicit the word "maiden" by asking them "what do we call a young woman who is not married?" Ask CCQs: is she young? Yes is she married? No Model and drill "maiden" then highlight the form on the board. 3) Display a picture for a " ladies' toilet sign" and elicit the word "ladies' room" by asking "what does this sign refer to?" "where do we usually see it? outdoors" Model and drill "ladies' room" then highlight the form on the board. 4) Display a picture for "microphone" and elicit the word "announcement" by asking them "when I want to tell people something in public, I need to make an ................" Model and drill "announcement" then highlight the form on the board. 5) Elicit the word "annoying" by asking "how to describe something that makes you angry?" Model and drill "annoying" then highlight the form on the board.
1) Set the context: you will listen to 6 people complaining about rules that they find annoying. 2) Give instructions: write the rule that each one complains about. 3) Ask ICQs: How many people are you listening? 6 How many rules are you writing? 6 Do you need to listen details? No 4) Demonstrate the first track with them and make sure that they all answered correctly. 5) Monitor and make sure they are on task. 6) Ask them to check their answers in pairs. 7) Give them HO #1 answer key
1) Hold HO #2 up and tell the students that there are 8 phrases; half of each phrase is in column A and the other half is in column B. 2) Match the phrases. 3) Ask ICQs: How many phrases are there? 8 Are they all in the same column? No What is your task? Match 4) Demonstrate the first one with them to make sure that they all answered it correctly. 5) Monitor and make sure they are on task. 6) Ask them to listen again and check their answers. 7) Ask them to check their answers in pairs. 8) Give an open class feedback by nominating students to say the whole phrase.
1) Divide the class into two groups. 2) Ask each group to make a list of rules that they find annoying in the following places: * Place of work/study * Your home * Your country 3) Monitor to make sure they are on task. 4) Ask each group to stand up and start a conversation with three students from the other group discussing the rules. 5) Demonstrate with one of the students, and nominate open pairs for demonstration. 6) Monitor and make sure they are on task and help. 7) Give o/c feedback on content.