To provide clarification of used to in the context of previous habits
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about When I was young in the context of previous habits
Procedure (45-59 minutes)
• Show Ss a picture of little children. • Ask Ss to read the questions and to discuss them in pairs. - E.X. Tell us previous habits that stopped doing them now. • Ss check the answer together, and then whole class feedback.
• Set Ss in pairs, and give clear instructions about the first activity; reading for gist. • E.X. Read the passage and choose the correct answer. • Ss check the answer together, and then whole class feedback. • Peer correction if necessary.
• T demonstrates and models the first sentence in the text. • Ask Ss about this form • When they come up with the answer, ask them to highlight the sentences in the text. • Ss check the answer together and then whole class feedback via projecting the text on the board and Ss highlight TL on the board.
• T writes the marker sentence on the board and asks Ss to read it. • Pass out the analysis HO, and ask Ss in groups to match the questions with the answers. • Ss check the answers together and give whole class feedback by asking Ss to write the answers on the board. • Project the answers on the board. • Clarify the meaning using a timeline. • Elicit the form from Ss • Drill the sentence with Ss for pronunciation, stress and intonation.
• Pass gap-fill handout and ask SS to work in pair to fill the write answer focusing on the form and the meaning of "used to" • E.X. John used to ... when he was a teen. (smoke inf.) • Ss check together and after that whole class feedback by writing the answers on the whiteboard. • Error correction if necessary ( peer correction)
* play a track "People in the past Vs nowadays". * Divide students into 4 groups. * SS listen to the track then state the clear differences between people now and in the past using "used to".
• Set Ss in pairs and ask them to prepare a dialogue between you and your friend telling each other about what changes about you and your families. • Project the question on board. • Ss present their conversation. • T takes notes on the errors and then delayed feedback after the activity. • Write the errors on the board and ask the Ss to find the mistake. • Highlight the mistake and ask Ss to correct them. ( peer correction) • Ask Ss if they have any questions. • Give Ss lesson summary HO. to provide Ss with a written record of TL