There is /There are
By the end of this lesson, students will have been able to use 'There is/are' , 'There isn't/aren't', 'Is/Are there' in the context of an audio about a house for rent.
They will have listened for specific detail.
By the end of the session, students will be able to differentiate between a house and a flat.
Procedure (37-48 minutes)
1. Show Students a picture of a house and a flat and elicit from them about the difference between them. 2. Make students ask each other . Where do you live? 3. Ask students to unscramble the letters in ex.1 a (HO1) 4.Model first one then give them 1 minute to do the other two 5. Elicit names of more rooms
1. Show Ss picture of a house for rent and elicit the meaning 2. Set the scene by telling them that they will listen to 3 people who are talking about a house for rent. 3. Ask them to listen first to know the 3 rooms they went into 4. Ask ICQs to make sure they understand the instructions 5. Play part of the audio and help them answer the first one 6. Play the rest of the audio and make them figure out the other 2 rooms 7. Have them check in pairs 8.Write the answer on the board 9. Play the audio again and ask them to fill in the gaps 10. Have them check in pairs 11. Display the answers on the screen
1. Give Ss 1 minute to fill in the gaps in exercise 3 after modelling 2. They check in pairs 3. Provide answers
1. Write down different forms on the board (There is /are) (There isn't/aren't) (Is/Are there) 2. Explain meaning through previous audio along with class material. There is a board. There are chairs. Is there a fridge? Are there books? There isn't a fridge. There aren't any children. 3. Elicit the form. + There is + singular noun / There are +plural noun - There isn't + singular noun / There aren't +any+ plural noun ? Is there + singular noun / Are there any+ plural noun 4. Clarify pronunciation and intonation - There /ðeə/ - There is .. / There are (Rising Intonation) - Is there .. / Are there.. (Rising Intonation) 5. Model and Drill
1. Model first part of exercise 5 in HO2 (In your house /flat) 2. Do 1 2 and 3 then have Ss do 4-12 3.Monitor 3. Make them check in pairs then provide them with answers
1. Have Ss ask each other the same questions in the previous exercise and answer them 2. Choose 2 pairs of students to model the activity first 3. Monitor closely to make sure they are using the TL 4. Allow 2 minutes for feedback and error correction