Luck: Third Conditional
The main aim of this lesson is to introduce the third conditional to ss and ensure they understand it fully and can use it whilst communicating.
A sub-aim of this lesson is for ss to practice their speaking skills in the context of the third conditional
Procedure (42-51 minutes)
1) Greet and ask ss individually if they think they are lucky or not. 2) Elicit words that are important for understanding the third conditional - 'imaginary', 'result', 'situation'. 3)Drill these words
1) ACTIVITY 1 - ss work ALONE. Tell them to try and remember the listening activity from previous lesson. 2) Check in PAIRS 3) Read out the relevant part of the transcript (check as a class)
1) Tell ss to read through the sentences in the first activity. Answer questions in A2 in relation to the previous sentences. 2) ss work in PAIRS as this task is a bit difficult and discussion may help their understanding. 3) monitor closely and help with any confusion if needed. 4) check answers as a class. 5) go through the answers and try to explain/elicit as much as I can as to why those answers are correct (teaching phase begins here).
(look at sheet I prepared for the steps of this stage + give ss grammar box handout to follow along with teaching stage) 1) Define 2) CCQs for keywords in definition. 3) Example sentence + label with components. 4) 3rd con. used for..... 5) condition +(,) result / result + (-) condition 6) General CCQs - events in the past? wish we had done/pleased we did? Real? Imaginary? 7) Ask if any questions
1) Chest HO and tell students they need to work INDIVIDUALLY - they can refer to help sheet from teaching stage (3 mins). 2) Set task - monitor as they work. 3) If there is time, check in pairs - if not, check as a class. Don't write full sentences on board, just gap fill answers.
1) Chest HO - ss fill in questionnaire INDIVIDUALLY - 2 mins. (ICQs/boardwork for grading of answers). 2) ss turn page over - maybe for 1 min or less, ask ss whether it says they are lucky or not. 3) Tell ss they will be talking to each other about their result - they need 2 min to prepare (give example sentences related to the language point - "If I had been an optimist, (maybe) I would have been luckier" 4) arrange seats if necessary and tell ss to talk for 4-5 mins (depending on time). 5) Very quick content feedback (ask ss whether their partner is lucky etc). 6) Delayed error correction for language point, pronunciation and vocabulary. 7) ask if any Qs about lesson, maybe quick recap if enough time