Marriage - Listening and Speaking
The main aim is for ss to improve their listening skills through listening for gist and also for detail.
A sub aim is to expose ss to new vocabulary and get them to use these in a production exercise (speaking).
Procedure (36-48 minutes)
1) Draw a heart on the board along with 'documents' (legal) - ask them to guess what we are doing. 2) If they are stuck, ask them to look at the pictures in the activity and ask what they have in common. 2) Start by trying to elicit the key vocabulary in the lesson through pictures (divide up, property, legal, a guarantee, a court).
1) ss work in PAIRS and brainstorm - give them sheets with 'marriage and law' in the middle. 2) ask them to think of as many words as possible relating to the topic. 3) ICQ - work alone? are you writing anything?
1) Chest HO and point at activity 6c - ss have to listen to audio and answer the questions. 2) Monitor with a low profile while they are listening. Play again. 3) ss check in pairs (1 minute) then check as a class.
1) Tell ss that they need to listen again but this time activity 6d. 2) Tell them to work alone and that they have to tick the correct answers while correcting the wrong ones. 3) Listen again if necessary or if audio is bad. 4) Check in pairs while I write the answers on the board - go through as a class.
1) Tell ss that they will now be having conversations with each other. 2) Arrange seats so they are suitable for 1 on 1 conversations. Write Q1 on board: 3) Q1 - Do you think prenuptial agreements are important? Are they pointless? 4) ss discuss for 4 minutes - content feedback - write on board some ideas and opinions ss give. 5) Q2 - What are some marriage laws like in Turkey? Are they similar to what has been described? 6) Content feedback 7) Delayed error correction
1) Who can describe what a prenuptial agreement is? 2) drilling of key vocab learnt at the start of the lesson (without writing on board)