Position of frequency adverbs and expressions
Elementary, A1-A2 level
To provide clarification and practice of position of adverbs of frequency and expressions of frequency in the context of teenagers' lifestyle
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of students' lifestyle
Procedure (29-41 minutes)
* Ss will look at a picture of a teenager and T will elicit the word "Teenager". * A text will be given to Ss to read fast and answer this question individually: " Text is about: a. teenagers' happiness b. teenagers' unhealthy lifestyle c. teenagers' school problems" * ICQs: Are you reading the text fast? Yes Are you choosing only one of them (pointing to the board)? Yes Are you working with your partners? No * Ss will do the peer check and then open-class feedback
* Ss will be asked to look at the highlighted words in the text. * T will elicit and explain the term "Adverbs of frequency" with the pink words and the term "Expressions of frequency" with the yellow words and board different examples on the board. * T will write this question on the board: "We use these words for which question: a. How well? b. How nice? c. How often?"
* Ss must look at highlighted words and do exercise b (1&2) ICQs: Are you doing just part 1? No Are you doing it alone? Yes * Ss do peer check (new partners) and then open-class feedback.
* T will clarify the form and pronunciation. * CCQs: Do we use adverbs of frequency after the main verb? No Before? Yes Do we use them after "Am, is, are"? Yes Do we use the expressions at the end of the sentence? Yes * T will ask students to look at the text again and say if "Never' & "Hardly ever" are in negative sentences.
* Ss will receive a worksheet each. It contains 5 sentences and they have to put the adverbs and expressions of frequency in their correct place individually. *ICQs: Are you writing a sentence or adding a word? Adding a word Are finding the correct place? Yes Do you work with your partner? No * Ss will do the peer check then in new groups, they check again. * Feedback will be given to them on a paper.
* Ss will have to do part 'd' in the course book. * ICQs: Are you talking or writing? Talking Are you using these verbs (pointing to the exercise)? Yes Are you using these words (pointing to adverbs and expressions on the board)? Yes * Feedback will be open-class, but each student must talk about their partner.
* Ss are asked to write 3 questions for their classmates. ICQs: Are you talking with someone? No * T will group them in pairs to ask and answer their questions. *ICQs: Are you writing or talking? Talking * T will re-group them to talk about their previous partners as a feedback. * The error treatment will be done in groups and then Ss will board them.