Writing a letter
9th Grade level
By the end of the lesson students should be able to write a short letter about oneself.
enhance their speaking skills by responding orally to each others questions
Skim texts for the gist and scan for specific information
Procedure (53-72 minutes)
- T greets students. - T review class objects with students.
- T show the students Lisa's picture on page 23. - T ask students to guess Lisa's age, nationality, home city, her favourite school subject and sports in pairs. - T pick some pairs to convey their predictions.
- Teacher reads the text. - Teacher asks a couple of students to read. - Teacher asks students to answer the questions below the texts individually. - Students share their answers.
- T asks students to work in pairs and ask each other the following questions : What’s your name? What’s your family name ? Where are you from? How old are you ? What’s the name of your school? What’s your favourite subject? What’s your favourite sport ? - T asks some of the Ss to come to the board and perform a dialogue.
-The reading and speaking activities above are considered as a pre-writing activities.
-First draft :Ss write their first draft. -Editing: Ss exchange their writing in pairs for editing. -Final draft: Ss write the final draft. - Ask some Ss to read their product in front of the whole class.
- T ask some Ss to read their product in front of the whole class. -T write a model and students copy it to their copybooks.