Life on a Scottish Island
To improve the students' listening skills, mainly focusing on listening out for target concepts given in the exercise.
To improve the students' comprehension of concepts that are found in speech.
Procedure (43-34 minutes)
1) Introduce myself - write Cem on the top right, ask how everyone is etc.. 2) Double-check everyone's names/ask newcomers - to establish a friendly rapport 3) Scotland trivia/warmer -ask where is Scotland? -draw rough UK map and circle Scotland -what do you know about Scotland? (gesturing: warm/cold?, sea? no sea?) -"I don't know - we will learn together"
1) Set geographical context so students understand the basis of the task - draw island on WB, put a circle within the island and label Stornoway and Isle of Lewis accordingly. Let them know mainland Scotland is next to the island. 2) Introduce upcoming keywords, ask first if they know and mime when possible - Isle=Island (along with pronunciation), ferry, Gaelic, light, dark, midnight, busy, a long way, north (draw compass). 3) Ask if they are ready for the activity.
1) Tell students that in the upcoming activity, they will have to listen (point to ears) to Sheena. 2) Give the handout and allow them to observe it for a few seconds. 3) Chest the HO - point at the activity and ask them to tick (draw a tick on the board) if they hear any of the bullet points in the task. 4) "For example, if Sheena talks about the weekend, then tick 'weekend' - if she does not talk about it, don't tick" 5) Ask if they are ready - begin the activity and pause for a few seconds after an important sentence. 6) Ask them to check the answers in pairs.
1) Let them know they will be listening again but this time it will be activity 2. 2) Say they have to tick the answer that they hear in the audio (one is true and one is false). 3) Play audio file 4) Put them into pairs and tell them to check answers 5) If they seem unsure, play the recording again (ask if they want to listen again) 6) Check as a class (write answers on WB).
1) Ask the students whether they think Stornoway is nice and whether they would like living there (give cues such as: relaxing? quiet? small? better traffic than Istanbul?). 2) How is it different from Istanbul? 3) If there is time left, erase the keywords from the board and put up printed off pictures representing the keywords eg. ferry and ask them what the pictures are.