Grammar and Speaking
4th grade level
To provide clarification, review and practice of wh questions in the context of why, what, where, how, and when
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a role play conversation in the context of wh questions such as why, what, where, how, and when
Procedure (32-52 minutes)
- Students in pairs are assigned to go around the class and read a printed page which is basically about WH question. - CCQs : Did they talk about weekend? yes How did she ask about it? ((using what)) Did they talk about place for shopping? yes How did she ask about it? ((using where)) Did they talk about shopping with someone? yes How did she ask about it? ((using who)) Did they talk about movies? yes How did she ask about it? ((using what kind of)) Did the talk about exercising and going to gym? How did she ask about? ((with using when)) Did they talk about reason of doing exercise? How did she ask about it? ((using why)) - Elicit the topic from students - Feedback: students will be asked to give answer and ask recognize whether the predicted topic that is said by another group is true or not.
- Students in group are assigned to make question using when, what, how, and where. - If everything is failed and its crucial, then teacher will give a model. - Students will model the language. - Monitoring: teacher will monitor and correct models if its needed. - Feedback : ask students what they asked from their partner and what they are being asked.
- Students are assigned an activity which is called unscrambled words. - Teacher distribute handouts. - ICQ : clear instruction is needed together with announcing time for this activity. - Monitoring : teacher will monitor for corrections. - Peer checking : students will be asked to check each other's answer. - Feedback : ask for being volunteer to answer.
- Teacher hand in handouts to students. - Students are assigned to do crossword activity. - ICQ : clear instruction is so important at this stage. - Peer checking : students will see and control each other's answer. - Feedback : students will answer the questions
- Teacher hand in handouts speaking flashcards. - ICQ : clear instruction is absolutely essential. - Students in pair will come to front of class and must compete in a friendly competition. - The winner will receive a trophy that is covered with chocolate…!!!