Elementary (A2) level
To provide gist and scan reading practice using a text about Extreme Living in the context of different countries around the world
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of "How well do you know your country?"
Procedure (33-42 minutes)
- T writes on the board China and Russia. - Are they big or small countries? big. - which country is bigger? Russia. 17 million km2 (Russia)... 9.6 million km2 (China). - Write on the board, Russia is the biggest country in the world.
- T explains 5 new words that might be hard for ss. - the words are: dehydrated, sea level, breathe, altitude, freezer". - T follows the lexis analysis sheet.
- Ss will be asked to match the headings with the sentence. - T explains that ss need to get only the main idea and read quickly. - T gives a clue to ss of how to find the correct title (hot temperature, height, cold temperature) (degrees and metres). - T gives ss one minute. - T asks the ss to answer the question. - T asks ss to check their answers together. - Feedback is provided.
- Ss are given the questions to read carefully (30 seconds). - T makes sure to explain the reading technique to ss. - Ss are asked to find the specific information. - Ss are asked to answer the questions. - T monitors. - T asks ss to check their answers in pairs. - Feedback is provided.
- Demonstrate this task very carefully with one of the ss. - Open pairs, then, closed pairs. - Write the question form and keywords for expressing opinions on the white board. - Provide ready-made handout similar to the board in case time was short and also because some ss like to practice from paper. - Get ss to exchange pairs if necessary (Time). - T monitors and gives content feedback at the end.