Elementary (A2) level
To provide review and practice of "How much&How many and quantifiers" in the context of "How much water do we really need?"
To provide deduction reading practice using a text about "How much water do you drink?" in the context of "How much water do we really need?"
Procedure (43-55 minutes)
- T explains how much they need water in their day (hot weather, refreshment...etc) - T presents two images that describes the importance of water in our bodies. - T asks ss to check in pairs why water is important to human beings. - T discusses with two or three ss.
- T provides a reading task to ss about "How much water do you drink?" - T demos the activity. - T asks ss to work alone and choose the correct answer for them. ICQs: - Are you working together? No. - Are you working alone? Yes. - T gives ss one 1-2 minutes to answer. - T demos for asking questions to each other in the same task. - (Open pairs demo) ICQs: - So, it is a speaking activity.. Do you need a pen? No. - So, pen downs please. - T gives ss (3-4 minutes).
- T asks ss to ask each other and answer. - T demos the activity with 2 or 3 ss. - T asks someone to answer no.3. Then, the same s ask another s across the room. - T repeats the activity with 2 or 3 people. - T asks ss to start asking each other.
- T asks ss to answer excercise a (HO2). - T asks ss to unfold their papers. - T elicits from ss that A is "none", B is quite "a lot", C is "a lot" and D is "not much". - T asks ss to answer exercise b (HO2). - T asks ss to complete HO3 and choose the correct answer for them. - T answers the second one with them. - T gives ss (3 minutes) to answer. - T shows the ss answers on the projector.
- T asks ss to ask each other the questions in HO3. - T demos the third one with a s. Then, this student asks another s across the room the following question. - T repeats this with 2 or 3 ss. - T asks ss to start and monitors their usage of the language.
- T asks ss to complete the questions individually with "How much or how many". - T asks ss to put a tick [ ] in the right column according to their use. - T gives ss 2 min to finish this task. - T asks ss to interview each other about their answers. - T demos the task with the ss (open pairs). - The question provided is: "Do you think his/her diet is healthy or unhealthy?". - T monitors and gives language feedback at the end if needed. Note: (T must be providing the TL on the whiteboard as a written reference for ss to avoid confusion).