Listening plan in context of stress
To provide sts practice in reading for gist and for specific information in the context of an article about stress.
To provide the sts practice in fluency in speaking.
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
1. Write on the WB: “Our teacher is ________.” 2. Sit in front of class and act out being stressed about teaching. Do not use the word. 3. Point at the sentence and indicate to sts to provide the answer. 4. Once they give “stressed,” write “My job is ________.” Ask for the answer. 5. As needed, use CCQs to ask, “Can you say ‘my job is stressing? No.” 6. Elicit from sts what their jobs are or were. Were/are they stressful? 7. Tell sts to work in groups and pick three jobs to discuss. How stressful are they? Which is the most stressful and why?
1. Ask sts to look at the picture and describe what they see. 2. Ask questions that relate to the titles at the bottom of the page. 3. Pre-teach “suffer from” with CCQs. (All other difficult-looking words are cognate in Turkish.)
1. Tell sts to look at the titles. They will have three minutes to read the article and pick the best title. 2. When done reading, they should discuss in their groups which title is best and why. 3. The class discusses as a whole which title is best.
1. Tell sts to work in pairs to answers the 7 questions following the text. 2. Tell them to mark the answer on their HO. Demonstrate on the WB by placing a “1” next to a symptom for question 1. 3. When pairs finish, tell them to check their answers with their group. 4. Tell early finishers to write the answers on the WB.
1. Hand out sentences and tell sts to work in pairs. 2. In conclusion, as sts how they manage their stress.