Learning languages, ability
To provide gist, scan, detailed and inference reading practice using a text about learning languages in the context of abilities
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of learning languages
Procedure (40-55 minutes)
- Project (glue) the picture of people speaking different languages on the WB. - Ask students what do you see in the picture. - Ask students which languages they would like to learn. - Elicit some answers from the students.
- Project (glue) the picture of Alex Rawling on the board. - Ask students to look at the picture and predict what will be the text about in pairs and write down their predictions on a paper.
-Give students the reading text. -Ask students to read and check if their predictions are correct. -Students check with their pairs. -FB ask students what is the text about and nominate some students to tell if their predictions were correct.
- Show students HO2. - Ask students to find the languages which are mentioned in the text and tick them. - Give them HO2. - Give them two minutes to read the text. - Students check their answers with their partners. - FB nominate some students to click the languages on the board.
- Show students HO3. - Tell students to read the text and answer the questions. - Students check their answers in pairs. - FB nominate students to answer the questions.
- Give students numbers. - Group them with the students who have the same number. - Show them the HO4. - Ask them to read the sentences with highlighted words are in and ask them to discuss with their group and match the highlighted words with their definitions. -Students check their answers with different groups. - FB WC feedback by nominating students.
- Show students the HO5 - Tell students to ask and answer these questions in pairs. - If you have time change pairs and make students to talk to different people. - FB nominate some students and ask them what did they find out about their partners.