Eda Aslan/06.05.2014/TP8 - Flatpack world
To provide gist, scan and detailed reading practice using a text about the company 'IKEA' in the context of flatpack world
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a discussion in the context of products that they want to buy
Procedure (36-48 minutes)
- The teacher ask one of the students to come and sit back to the board. - The teacher sticks the letters of IKEA in a mixed way on a whiteboard, then one of the students come to board and put the letters in order. - The teacher asks students to describe IKEA to the student, who is back to the board. - The teacher asks students to watch the advertisement, while thinking about the question " Which products are sold in IKEA? ". - After watching the video, the teacher elicits the students' answers.
- The teacher gives students Paper-cuts (Exercise A) and asks them to match the words to their definitions in pairs. -The teacher monitors and provides them feedback with whole-class. - The teacher asks some CCQs. -The teacher drills the vocabulary both chorally and individually.
- The teacher gives students handouts (Exercise B) and asks them to read the article about IKEA and match headings a-d to paragraph 1-4. - The students complete the exercise individually. - The teacher asks the students to check their answers with their partners. - The teacher shows the answer key on smartboard.
- The teacher asks students to read the article again to find out what does the article say about the numbers and people, which are written in exercise C. - The students scan the text individually to answer the questions, then the teacher asks them to compare the answers with their partners. - The teacher monitors and provides delayed feedback with whole class.
- The teacher asks students to read the text again and decide whether the sentences in exercise D are True or False. - The students complete the activity individually. - The teacher asks students to check the answers with their partners. - The teacher asks students to unfold the handout to see the answer key.
- The teacher asks students to think of a answers of these questions for a minute; * What do you want to buy nowadays? * Why do you want to buy this product? * What are the qualities of this product? - The teacher asks students to stand up and mingle in the classroom and talk about the products that they want to buy. - The teacher elicits their answers.