Reading and vocabulary
To provide gist and scan and also an opportunity to practice reading in order to improve students comprehension about overloaded information
To provide an opportunity to present new vocabulary from the text and do the MFP.
Procedure (37-38 minutes)
- Students are assigned to watch a video about TL which is 'information overload'. - Teacher gets students to talk in pairs about what they think about the video. - They've got 2 to 3 minutes to share their ideas. - CCQs: Is it only about technology? (no) Is it a problem for human beings? (yes) Can it be true for everyone? (yes) Is it kind of processing in mind? (yes) What will be processed?(information) Can this problem and processing bring you stress? (yes) What will happen when we get all these information and process together? (overload) - To comprehend better the TL - students are assigned a wall walk activity to find out the examples of information overload. - Students mention the reason they have chosen the example to elicit and model the language. - Feedback- ask students to share to class about TL
- I am going to illustrate some visuals. - Students will elicit the new vocabulary by predicting. - Modelling and elicit by students - Teacher elicit from students stress, form and pronunciation - Feedback - WC will repeat to make sure that MFP is done effectively.
- Distribute HO - Students are assigned to read first and last few lines of context( reading text page 89). - İCQ - students must be aware that they only have 1 to 2 minutes and then answer the questions they have just given and they should do it individually. - Get students to do peer checking. - Elicit and model the sentences by giving students the opportunity to talk about what they understood from the text. - Feedback - ask students to share with class to check class understanding.
- Students will read the text entirely and carefully in 3 to 4 minutes. - HO, students are assigned a controlled practice to evaluate students comprehension of text. - ICQ - let them know to do it individually. - Monitor - Get them to do peer checking - Feedback - Teacher draw a chart on board and get them to involve the activity by letting them to fill that chart in group.
- Let students to personalise the topic - Some ICQs are needed about personalisation of TL by setting some questions such as: have you ever encounter information overload in your life? what kind of problem did you have with this issue? what are your solutions for those problems? - Monitor and delay corrections. - Ask students whether they are agree with each other's idea