Grammar and listening
To provide clarification and practice about how and when we use past perfect and ability to identify while we are listening
To provide students with listening tasks about the order of actions in the past. - To provide clarification about position of stress in sentences involving 'past perfect'
Procedure (38-46 minutes)
- Students are assigned to take a look at a slide of PPT that is consist of two sentences. I decided to make the series because because i had seen an article in the newspaper. I was sure that ı had seen the place before. The film had started by the time we got to cinema . - CCQs: Are these sentences about future? (no) Are these about present? (no) Did they happen in the past? (yes) Is there only one action there? (no, two actions) Is it about order of happening actions? (yeas) - Let students to talk in pairs about above sentences. - Elicit from students the topic. - Feedback - ask two students to talk to class about the TL.
- Teacher asks each group to write a sentence on whiteboard. - Teacher will elicit past perfect structure based on what students have just written on WB. - Negative form of past perfect will be elicited by students. - Model the sentence - students will be assigned to write 5 negative sentences - Students do peer checking and drill some sentences in past perfect tense - Feedback - Teacher drill couple of sentences
- Students are shown a PPT file and asked to identify difference between the following sentences. When i turned on the TV, the programme started. When i turned on the TV, the programme had started. - Students model the language and elicit the difference. - Teacher writes couple of sentences on whiteboard to elicit stress of sentences from students. I'd seen an article in the newspaper. I decided to make the series because I'd seen an article in the newspaper. - students are assigned to listen to audio in Ex.5a. - They are asked to listen and write down all examples of past perfect individually. - Feedback - get students to peer check each other's answer.
- Students are assigned to complete Ex.7. - ICQ - clear instruction must be given to students. - Teacher monitors and give some feedback. - Ask students to do peer checking. - Feedback - ask students to talk about each other's answer
- Model the language by asking students to think and write a story by using past perfect and simple past. - Let them speak and come up with a good story. - Compare with others. - Share with class the story.