word order of phrasal verbs
pre intermediate level
by the end of this lesson students will learn how to use nouns and pronouns with a phrasal verb
by the end of this lesson students will work on their listening and speaking
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
VIDEOES 1. focus students on the videoes ( what this video and tell me what were they doing?" 2. try to elicit "turn off the alarm clock" from them 3. write "turn of the alarm clock" and "turn the alarm clock off" on the board. 4. " is alarm clock the subject of these sentences?" ( is it doing something or are we doing something to it?) try and elicit "object" from them 5. is "alarm clock" noun or adjective or adverb? (noun) write it on the board 6. write "she, he, it, them" on the board "now is it a person or a thing?"(cross off he and she), is it singular or plural? (cross off them) 7. how can write these sentences but with "it"? "turn off it" "turn it off" 8. ask then if they think both are correct, cross off the wrong one 9. in the right one ask them what is "it", is it noun or pronoun?
1. there are 6 sentences, listen and tell me what are they about 2. are you going to read or listen? (listen)/ "are you going to write something?"(no) 3. play the listening once and ask them what was it about 4. show them the photocopy and explain how they should fill it. 5. play the audio again but this time pausing after each part so the students can write their answers 6. model and drill and if necessary explain the meaning
DO 1 AND 5 1. write the answer to the first question on the board 2. ask them what is "it"? ( is it the subject or the object?)( is it the noun or the pronoun?) 3. ask them what does "it" refer to in this sentence? (wet towel) 4. how can i write this sentence with " the towel"? 5. write the correct forms 6. do number 5 write the two forms on the board and ask them if both are correct cross off the wrong one 7. explain how sometimes you can't put anything between the two parts of the verb 8. ask the to do the same for the other 4 sentences, in pairs/group 9. ask them to come up to the board and write their answers
1. with every example on the board try to elicit the rule from them "this is called a phrasal verb, it has two part" 2. when the object is a noun, we can put it after the phrasal verb or between it 3. when the object is a pronoun, we have to put it between the verb.
1. page 147, a 2. in this practice you have 2 options, circle the correct one, if both are correct put a tick at the end, do it by yourself 3. how many options do you have? (two)/ what do you do when both are correct? ( tick at the end)/ are you going to do it by yourself or in a group?(by ourselves) 4. do the already done sentence 5. give them time 6. ask them to check with their partners 7. put the answers on the board 8. page 147, b 9.remember when i told you phrasal verbs have two parts? in this exercise the first part is already there you just have to write pronoun and the second part of the verb, do it in pairs/group what was our pronoun? (it) and if it's plural?(them) are going to it alone or in a group?(in a group) 10. put the write answers on the board
1. page 87 of the SB, part 5 2. read these questions once and think about your answers 3. now stand up come here (music) and start asking your partners, write down their answers 4. are you going to write something?(yes) what? (answers) your answers or your friend's answers?) 5. students will tell class what they found out about their partners 6. error correction
1. ask them "what did you learn today?" give me some examples