To provide gist, and specific information reading practices to build up the students' speed reading skills using an item of news story about giving away Twitter accounts from the Guardian
To provide fluency speaking practice in a discussion with some follow-up questions about the text,
Procedure (42-52 minutes)
- T introduces himself and gets to know Ss. - T displays 5 speaking questions (01 LP warmer questions) on the board. - T puts Ss in pairs and asks them to discuss the questions in pairs. - T slowly walks around the classroom to monitor and listen - T gets WC FB.
- Ss are asked: What do you do when you want to know the main idea of a reading text? - After collecting some ideas from Ss, T introduces the basic concept of skimming. - T elicits the difference between skimming and scanning (if Ss do not know, T shows the difference using PPT, 02 LP skimming)
- T shows Ss pictures (03 LP pictures) and asks Ss some questions about them. - T says: "We are going to read a text about these photos. Look at the photos and answer this question in pairs: What is the story behind these photos?" - T collects predictions from Ss. - T hands Ss HO1 and asks them to fold it so they could only see the first question - Ss skim the text for 2 minutes and answer the first question. - T elicits the answer from Ss. - T refers to the underlined words in the text and asks them to fold the paper so they could see the second question. - Ss are told to match the underlined words to their definitions individually. - Ss do pair-check. - T elicits answers from Ss and writes the correct answers on the WB.
- T asks Ss to unfold the paper so they could see the third question and asks them to scan the text and underline the answers. - Ss do pair-check. - Ss read the text individually and answer the questions. - T monitors Ss quietly and lets them do their task. - Ss do pair-check. - T collects WC FB.
- T divides Ss into two groups. - T explains to Ss how to do the exercise onion rings. - Ss discuss the questions displayed on the WB (04 LP onion ring questions). - When the exercise is done, T gets WC FB.