by the end of the lesson the students will have practised reading for skimming and for specific information in the context of winning and losing competitions
by the end of the lesson, the students will have practised speaking for fluency in the context of taking part and winning competitions
Procedure (43-59 minutes)
- I present two pictures one shows a happy couple and the other shows a sad girl. - the students discuss the pictures do you think the couple having a nice time? what do you think makes them feel happy? do you think she is enjoying her time? what do you think makes her sad? - -the students will discuss their personal achievements in winning any sports games "in pairs, discuss the following questions?" - what is your favorite sports game? - did you win a prize in a sport or a game before? - what was that game? what did you get? -
- I ask the students to match the words with the definitions. they have 2 minutes for this task - I give them the model answer for checking their answers. I present the main vocabulary via showing pictures on PP slides - the students see the pictures and try to guess the word. - I clarify the meaning , form and the pronunciation of these verbs to help the students on the next task
- I chest the handout and set the first task, "Now, read the first paragraph quickly and elicit the whole idea." - the students work individually. - I elicit the answer from the students - I show the answer on the board for the students to check their answer.
- I ask the students to pair. - I give each pair the numbers "1 and 2" , then I give instructions for the second task. - the "ones" read the first paragraph and answer the question in exercise 3 a, while the "2s" read the second paragraph and answer the same questions in exercise 3a - I do a demo with them ( the first questions for each paragraph." - the students work individually - I monitor for any one in need and check they all are engaged. - I give the model answers to the students to check their answers. I change the pairs and ask them to discuss the information that each one got from their respective paragraph. -
- I set the students in two or three groups. - I set the speaking task. "Now, each group discusses the following questions together. - what do people win in competitions? - Are there any competitions/ games you would like to enter in the future? what is it? - what do you need to win that competition? - if you won that competition, what prize would you like to get? - Are competitions goof for us? why? - do you care if you lose in a game? why? - what are the bad things that people may do during competitions? - have you cheated in a competition before? when? - I monitor while the students are talking for any support and taking notes for errors correction.