Offering to help, TP8
To teach and practice functional language in the context of offering to help.
To practice Ss' skills -both listening for the gist and listening for specific information in the context of offering to help. By the end of the lesson, Ss also will have chance to speak in the related context of the lesson.
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
- T tells a story about a bcycle accident. - T shows some pictures and she tries to elicit the context and the structures (Let, I'll, Shall) from the pictures. - T writes on the board. (offering to help - Let, I'll, Shall)
- T writes on the board, drills and shows the stress. Let me try...Ooh, it's stuck. Let me carry it. I'll make you a sandwich. I'll get it for you. Shall I open the window?
- T gives the task and the HO's. ICQ's Are we matching each conversation with the pictures? (Yes.) - Ss listen to the audio ex. 3A (11.4). - T elicits the answers from WC.
- T gives the task and the Ss listen to the audio second time and do the ex 3B. - They check their answers in pairs. - WC feedback.
- Ss listen to correct pronunciation from the audio 11.5 - T drills chorally and individually.
- T gives the cup-ups and the task. - T shows first one as an example. - Ss works in pairs. - T monitors and helps if needed. - Ss check each other's answers.
- T gives the task and does first one as an example. (A person is the teacher and B person is the WC) -T gives the role cards. - Ss go out and offer to help to eachother. ICQ's Are you going to exchange your cards? (Yes.) - Ss swap the role cards. - T monitors and takes notes for delayed feedback.