Present Continuous - Elementary
To provide ss practice of present continuous in the context of summer vacation and regular activities.
to provide practice and increase ss’ fluency on using the target language.
To provide ss vocabulary for actions.
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
1. Show pictures of Florida 2. Introduce family 3. Roleplay telephone conversation with dad 4. Give examples: my sister is swimming – my mother is walking in the park 5. Emphasize ‘now’ 6. CCQ: a. are talking about the past? b. are we talking about the future? c. is it a routine? 7. Elicit other answers from ss
1. Write a sentence on the board. 2. Show timeline to reassure meaning. 3. Elicit negative form. And question form. Write on the board and highlight form. 4. Show full and short form. 5. Elicit form: what is the verb? (Swim) 6. Do we use -ing? (Yes) 7. What’s the subject? (She) 8. Write form on board: Subject + be + Verb + -ing 9. Elicit ”to be” verb (am/is/are): When do we use “is”? When do we use “are”? When do we use “am”? 10. Drill pronunciation.
1. Give HO. 2. In pairs ss will fill ibn the gaps (1 min). 3. Write the answer key on the board. Ss check.
1. Ask ss to close eyes and think what their families or friends that are on vacation doing now? (music)(1min) 2. Ss stand up. Music plays when the music stops ss start to talk with nearest partner. 3. Monitor ss and write 5-6 sentences on the board. 4. Ask ss to find any mistakes and correct them on the board.
1. Gesture and elicit some words. Which are: play, walk, dance, eat, drink, swim, sit , talk 2. Ask them to write -ing forms on the board. 3. Check answer together. 4. Write subject in front of verbs 5. Elicit ‘be’ form (am/is/are) highlight full/short form. 6. Drill pronunciation.