To provide learners the opportunity to develop their skills in reading, and be fluent in this area as well.
To provide learners appropriate vocabularies to use in their speakings and writings
Procedure (42-50 minutes)
- T shows Ss some photos of different sports, and asks them whether they like sports or not, to lead their minds into sports and topics around it. - Ss are asked to talk about the things that athletes do before their competitions.
- Ss are shown a video on you tube about pre-game rituals, to elicit the meaning of the word "ritual". - T asks some questions about the video to elicit the meaning: * what was the video about? abou the things that athletes do before their matches. * what was the word for these activities? ritual - T asks some CCQs: * do they always follow these rituals before their games? yes * do they do exactly the same thing each time? yes - Ss are asked to give an example for their rituals, and T gives them a model: for example, kissing each other before doing to bed is my family ritual. - Ss are asked about its part of speech and pronunciation, which is written on LA. - T pretends to sneeze and stop for a while as it is common believe in Iran that you have to wait for a while when you sneeze, otherwise something bad would happen, to elicit the meaning of the word " superstitious". - Ss are asked if they believe on these ideas or not. - T pretends that she does not know the word for "superstitious" and asks Ss if they know, if not she says the word by saying that : may be i am such a .... person - T asks some CCQs: is it a proven science or just an old idea? old idea is it about magic and luck? yes - T gives the Ss its part of speech and the syllables, and express the word stress, which are all written on LA. - T elicits the meaning of the word " confine" by asking a Q: are these superstitions confined to some group of people, or spread all over the world? spread all over the world. if something is confined, spread all over or limited ? limited is it a good idea to confine our studying time? no - Ss are given the part of speech and its collocation which are written on the LA. - Ss are asked to look at the pictures and title of the reading and predict what the reading is about.
- Ss are given a limited time ( 1 minute) to read the text and say what it is about. - Ss are asked to share their answers with their partner. - Ss are asked to read the article and match the first sentences with the paragraph, they have to do the task in 3 minutes.. - Ss are asked to compare their answers with their partner and tell why they have chosen the sentences. - T gives them feedback . - T asks Ss if they have problem with any words, and if yes she asks for peer feedback
- Ss are shown a photo of different athletes, which are mentioned on the book, and are asked to guess what any of their superstitions are or were? - Ss are divided into two groups, one group should stay other side of the class. - each groups are given two hand-outs to read, each members of each groups should come and say what they have read to the opposite groups. - Ss should guess which superstition is for which person. - T gives them feedback.
- Ss are asked to tell each other what is their own superstitions or their countries' superstitions