World Culture - Indian Railway - Listening & Speaking
To provide gist and specific information listening practice using a text about Indian railways in the context of video.
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a discussion in the context of an exercise.
Procedure (31-45 minutes)
- Illustrate some pictures. CCQs: ask some simple questions quickly such as: is he a worker? is he a doctor? whats his job? - Elicit answer from Ss and give feedback. - model and drill a few sentences e.g.(( he is a station master and he works...)). - ask Ss to work in pairs to guess and model sentences based on the picture that have just shown and monitor. Feedback- ask Ss to give some sentences about pictures
- Distribute HO toss. - ICQ - Tell them the instruction of Ex-2b. - Tell students they are going to watch a video and try to number the list of said words in the order you watch. Play the video twice if needed. - Monitor while they are numbering. - Let them do the peer checking. - Choose a person to tell to class how the right order is. - Feedback.
- Ask students to read the sentences in Ex-3. - ICQ: Check if the students have understood the task. - Ask students to do it individually. - Tell them to watch and listen to the video again to get the specific information and choose the correct answer. Distribute the sentences to each student. - Students check each other's answer, then check each group's answer. - Feedback: Ask students to read sentences with right answers.
- Make a quick drill of Ex-4a. - ICQ: Make sure students understand what they should do. - Ask students to do individually. Suggest students to write initial letter. - Then, check each other's answer. - Play video again and monitor whether they need any corrections or not. - Feedback: get feedback from students.
- Discuss: Let students discuss based on the Ex-3. - Students are assigned to do it between 3-5 minutes. - Let students change within groups and monitor - correct when it's needed. - Tell students what they found from his partner.