To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about travelling in the context of Voluntours
To provide fluency speaking practice in a debate in the context of voluntours
To provide clarification of travel words in the context of vonluntours
Procedure (33-43 minutes)
- Show them some pictures related to holiday and tourism. - Ask them questions and try to elicit some information about the topic.For example, "Where is he/she?" " What are they doing" - Ask them to talk about one of their exciting trips. - put them in pairs.Give them 3 minutes. - Ask two or three students to tell the whole class about their peers' vacation.
- show the students some pictures related to the words. - Ask them questions and elicit the words,especially words that are difficult to understand through pictures.Like voluntour and volunteers."Do they pay money to stay there?" "Are they paid for their jobs?" - Put them in groups. - Give them some small cards with the vocabulary and some strips with their definitions. - Give them 3 minutes to match the words with their definitions. - Put the answer key on the wall,get them to walk around the class to see if their answers are true or false.
- Give Ss two statements about the reading. - Tell them to read the text quickly. - Put them in small groups and have the Ss discuss with their peers if the statements are true or false. - Give them 3 minutes. - Get them discuss it with the whole class.
- Tell them they are going to read the text carefully this time to answer some questions. - Give the students the task. - Let them read the text. - Put them in pairs. - Have them answer the questions. - Give them the answers and let them discuss it with their peers if their answers are true or false.
- Tell the students they are going to have a voluntour this summer. - Tell them they are going to work in pairs and tell their partners where they want to go what kind of volunteer job they like to do. - Have them to take a note of what their friends say. - After 3 or 4 minutes change the pairs. - Get the students tell their new partner about what the previous one said.They should also tell their names( the previous peers' name). - Ask them to take a note of what their new partners say about his/her last partner. -.Have the Ss tell about what their partners' last partner said.