Eda Aslan/29.04.2014/TP7 - Past Simple vs. Past Continuous
To provide clarification and practice of the past simple and past continuous tenses in the context of movies.
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a story telling in the context of movies
Procedure (34-46 minutes)
- The teacher asks students to watch a video about the film "Titanic". - The teacher asks some questions about the video such as " Did you watch Titanic?" , "Did you like it?" " What were the people in video doing ? etc.
- The teacher gives the students handouts for guided discovery. - The students answer the questions individually. - After completing each section, the students compare their answers with their partners, then the teacher moves on the other activity. - The teacher asks some CCQs and provides feedback with whole class on the white board, at the end of the activity.
- The teacher gives the students handouts. - The students complete the activity indivially. - The teacher asks students to check their answers with their partners. - The teacher asks students to unfold the handout to see the answer key.
- The teacher gives the students handouts. - The teacher asks students to choose the correct form of the verbs. - The students complete the activity alone, then they check the answers with their partners. - The teacher shows the answer key on a smartboard.
- The teacher gives the students handouts. - The teacher asks students to watch a short scene from the movie of 'Greenberg' and fill in the gaps according to this scene by using Past Simple or Past Continuous. - The students complete the task individually, then they check the answers with their partners. - The teacher monitors and provides delayed feedback.
- The teacher puts the students in pairs and gives each pair a different pictures of couples from different scenes of some famous movies. - The teacher asks pairs to think and talk about how these couples met by using Past Simple and Past Continuous. The teacher gives some promt questions to guide students such as, " How was the day?, What they were doing? , What happened? " - After discussing in pairs, the teacher asks students to stand up and mingle in the classroom and talk about their stories with other students. - The teacher plays an energetic music at the bachground. - The teacher monitors the students during the activities and provides delayed feedback with whole class.