To provide practice of requests
To provide fluency
To provide gist listening practice using a text about requests
Procedure (43-54 minutes)
- Have Ss look at the word 'requests'. What does it mean? . . - Ask what are some ways they ask for something. . . - Have Ss discuss in groups. . . - FB as a whole class.
- Ss listen to audio 1.22. . . - Ss underline request words from the tape script of listening. . . - Have Ss check with their peers. . . - Whole class FB going over the sentences. .
- Ss complete the table in HO with phrases in exercise 1. Do in pairs. . . - Have Ss give answers during whole class FB. Go over the MFP of the requests. . . - Once everyone is done ask Ss to look back at the phrases and say which ones are more polite. . . - Have Ss discuss for a few min before whole class FB.
- ex3, Play recording. . . - Ask Ss 'What is wrong with the responses?'. Have a short discussion with the class. . . - Ss do ex4, matching alternative responses to the questions. . . - Ss check there answers with peers before FB and listening to the recording. . . - Have a discussion with Ss asking why they have chosen that answer.
- Ss listen and repeat the examples of polite intonation ex5. . . - Ss read the information on ex7. . . - Ss get into pairs and interview each other using the information on exercise 7. . . - End class with a short discussion.