TP 6 Lesson Plan
To provide detailed listening practice using a text about hopes and dreams in the context of future dreams
Speaking for accuracy on the schwa sound and overall fluency
To provide review of infinitive and -ing in the context of hopes and dreams
Procedure (40-50 minutes)
- Write "Future dreams" on the whiteboard. - Ask what Inoue Daisuke dreams for the future are. - Ss tell their opinions about it.
- Show the pictures of the 3 people (Aminata, Eduardo, and Elisa) and ask Ss what they're doing and if they're doing it well. Then, ask Ss to guess what their dreams are in pairs for 1 or 2 minutes. - w/c FB with Ss telling their guesses
- Tell Ss they will listen to these people talking about their dreams and they will match the speakers and the pictures. (Before playing the audio, make sure Ss know the meaning of drown and train (verb). - Ss peer check before w/c correction. *Answers: A Eduardo B Aminata C Elisa
- Give the handouts with some extracts from the listening activity to Ss and tell them to match the expressions on the left and right from what they remember. Let them peer check before playing again. - Play the recording again. - Ss peer check before w/c FB.
- Write the piece of the sentence "I'd like to" on the board and elicit what comes after that. Complement by writing love/want instead of like. Form: I'd like/love/want/ + infinitive. - Write "I'm thinking of" and "I'm considering" to elicit what comes after that. Highlight the preposition. Form: Preposition + verb(ing) I'm considering Elicit other options to the sentences.
-Write "One day, I'd like to learn to swim" and ask Ss where the stress is. What kind of words are generally stressed? - Draw their attention to "like to learn" to elicit the schwa sound by first pronouncing word by word, then in connected speech. Drill the correct pronunciation. - Ss mark all the stressed words and schwa sounds on the sentence above. - Tell them to do the same with the other 7 sentences on the handout. Play the recording, Ss peer check and play again if necessary. W/C FB.
- Tell students to write on a piece of paper their hopes and dreams for the future using the sentences seen previously, being careful with gerund and infinitive. Set a time limit of 2 minutes. - Ss talk about their hopes and dreams in pairs. - W/c FB focusing on the stories.