Horoscopes and Job Selection
A2/B1 (Pre-Intermediate) level
The main aim of this lesson is to focus on reading text for detailed information and for students to have gained a clear understanding of how horoscopes can be used in the context of job selection and in every day life.
The students will acquire useful vocabulary to use in the context of using horoscopes for job selection and in every day life.
Procedure (35-46 minutes)
1. Show a visual on w/b of my horoscope sign and of some personality traits 2. talk about positive and negative traits of each sign 3. Ask students to raise their hands if they believe in astrology or don't believe
1. add the target language to the w/b 2. give example sentences in context
1. Highlight the target language and context 2. Ask CCQ's
1. T- gives instructions and sets a clear aim as to why Ss will read the text 2. Ss read a magazine article (solo) 3. T- nominates a couple of Ss to check for understanding of gist 4. H/O are distributed to each Ss with questions and a gap fill relating to the text 5. Ss work solo and then peer check answers 6. answer keys are distrıbuted to Ss
1. Ss change partners and discuss their answers in pairs 2. Ss are asked to come and fill in the answers on the w/b 3. T- highlights and shares any error correction with WC
1.TL - model - choral - solo - (drilling) T- shares example sentences using target lexis 2. T - elicits spellings, main stress, and word form
1.T elicits any mistakes or errors that may have occurred during the lesson 2.Ss have the opportunity to share feedback with T and WC 3.T highlights and corrects any errors either orally or by marking on the w/b- or both
1. indicate class has finished 2. share a few social questions with WC