Special occasions, Present Continuous Lesson Plan
Elementary A2 level
To provide clarification and practice of the present continuous tense in the context of special occasions
To provide deduction reading practice using a text about a special day of a magazine worker in the context of special occasions
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
- Ss will look at the picture on the smart board and discuss what they think it is like working for a fashion magazine. - T reviews the words chosen from the article: "choose articles, earn money." - T pairs the Ss up. Ss decide what the 3 people, that they see in the picture, do in their jobs in the activity 1.
- T distributes the hand-out. - T elicits "national holiday". T asks CCQ's: Can you name any national holiday that we celebrate in Turkey? Do we go to school or to work on national holidays? - T elicits "day off", Then T elicits CCQ: Is it a day when we go to work? (No) - T tells Ss that, the day is a national holiday in Canada. - T tells Ss to read a passage about Rachel's day off.
- T tells the Ss to underline the things that she do different than usual. - While Ss are underlining T draws a timeline on the board. P--------/-\-N-/-\-------->F - Then T asks CCQ's: Is Rachel at work right now? [No] Are they going to the beach today? [No] What are they doing now?
- T tells the Ss to fill in the chart in the handout. - Ss fill in the chart individually and then, they compare their charts with a partner.
- T tells Ss to do the fill-in-the-blank activity. - Ss first complete the gaps individually then compare their answers with a partner.
- T tells the ss to complete the activity 4a. - Ss are to circle the correct tense structure given in the activity. (Present Simple vs. Present Continuous) - Then, the ss compare their answers with their neighbours.
- At this stage, ss look at the sentences and truthfully adapt-change for themselves -in the activity 4b. - After they re-write the sentences, T groups the Ss and the Ss read their sentences to their group members.