Eda Aslan/22.04.2014/TP6 - Multi Word Verbs
To provide clarification and practice of of some multi-word verbs in the context of Clothes, Computers and Love and Friendship
To provide fluency speaking practice in a discussion and game in the context of some phrasal verbs
Procedure (35-47 minutes)
- The teacher asks students to watch a video,while thinking about the red written words in the video, and try to understand why Izzy is frustrated. - The teacher discusses the answer of the question with whole class and introduces the context of the lesson.
- The teacher gives students handouts (Exercise A) and asks them to match the topics to the paragraphs. - The students complete the exercise individually. - The teacher asks the students to check their answers with their partners. -The teacher monitors and gives delayed feedback.
- The teacher gives students handouts (Exercise B) and asks them to match the multi-word verbs with the correct definition in the word webs. -Students complete the activity individually. -The teacher asks students to check their answers with their partners. - The teacher shows the answers on the smartboard. -The teacher asks some CCQs and drills the phrasal verbs.
- The teacher writes the three categories ( Clothes/Computers/Love and Friendship) on the board and asks students to think of other multi-word verbs for these categories -Teacher elicits students' ideas and gives feedback on the board with whole class.
- The teacher gives students handouts and asks them to read the definitions and answer the questions alone. (Example C) - The students complete the activity and check the answers with their partners. - The teacher asks students to decide which sentences are possible and underline the possible sentences. (Example D) - The students complete the activity and check the answers with their partners. - The teacher asks students to unfold the handout to see the answer key.
- The teacher divides the students into groups of 4 and asks gives one phrasal verb to each group. - The teacher asks them to produce one example sentence with the given phrasal verb - While the students are working on the acvitiy, the teacher monitors and picks up some points and provides delayed feedback on the board.
- The teacher divides the class into 4 groups and gives students handouts (Exercise E) and paper-cuts. - The teacher gets the students to stick the paper-cuts ( definitions of phrasal verbs) under the related sentences. - The students complete the activity and the teacher gives students the answer key.
- The teacher divides the students into two groups. - Students come to board one by one, and the teacher gives them a phrasal word. The student, who is on board, tries to explain the given word to his/her group friends without using some words,which are also written on the given paper. - The group, which can understand more words will be the winner of the game.