CELTA Grammar Articles
To provide clarification and practice of articles -a,an,the- and zero aricle in the context of daily life activities
To provide gist reading practice using a text about a Mexican's life in the context of daily life activities
Procedure (37-49 minutes)
1) T starts to play a piece of Mexican mariachi music from Spotify. 2) T starts to present the pictures related to the Mexican culture (a traditional Mexican hat, a picture of a cactus, a photograph of Frida Kahlo... etc.) until the Ss guess Mexico.
1) T tells to Ss to look at the reading text about Ignacio and to read it quickly. 2) T asks what the text is about. 3) T points out the questions related to the text. 4) T tells Ss to read the text again if necessary to answer the questions.
1) T pairs the Ss up and asks why some of the words in the text written differently and what do they think about the words written in bold. 2) T collects the findings.
1) After collecting the findings of the Ss, T asks form questions. a- Is there anything before or after "Ignacio"? (No) b- What about "house"? (a) c- What about "capital city"? (the)... 2) T asks when we have a/an/the/- in a context. 3) Then T projects grammar table to the board and tells them to match the articles with the correct use.
1) T tells the Ss to look at the Ex. 2 2) Then T plays track 5.6. Ss check their answers. T stops the recording after each gap.
1) T presents a fun quiz about Mexico. 2) T pairs the students up and give handouts. 3) As the Ss are doing the ex., T monitors and tries to write the learner errors. 4) If there is some extra time in the end of the lesson, T tells the Ss to prepare a similar quiz about their hometown.