Vocabulary and Reading level
To provide clarification and practice of colloctions in the context of public transportation.
To provide gist, scan and detailed reading practice using a text about world travel in the context of public transportation.
Procedure (32-48 minutes)
1. Write "fast" on the upper left side of the board and "slow" on the upper right side of the board. 2. Ask Ss to put the pictures (types of transport) in order, from fast to slow. 3. Elicitation- Ask Ss if they know their English names. a) Choral and individual repletion 4. Ask Ss to write the name of each transport under its picture. 5. Give them HO 1. a) If the spelling is NOT correct, ask them to put the correct one. b) If the spelling is correct, they put a check mark.
1. Give Ss VA 2 (clipart pictures of people) and ask them to work in pairs. They should discuss which transport type is used by these people every day. 2. Then ask them (in pairs) to say the English name for each clipart picture. a) Choral and individual repetition 3. Ask Ss to write the name of each clipart picture. 4. Give them HO 2: a) If the spelling is NOT correct, they put the correct one under the picture. b) If the spelling is correct, they put a check mark.
1. Scanning- Ask Ss to scan the text for countries and cities' names: Countries: the USA, Japan, Germany, China, Netherlands, the Great Britain, Cities: Rome, London, Paris, Shanghai, Mexico City, Seoul, Moscow, Madrid, Tokyo, Atlanta, Beijing. 2. Scanning- Asks Ss to scan the text for types of transport a car, a bicycle, scooters, a bus, a train, an underground train, the Tube, 3. Ask Ss to underline all the verbs used for types of transport. a) Give them one minute. b) Do the first one and check if every one understands. c) Check Ss to check their answers in pairs.
1. Ask Ss to do exercise 4a individually. a) Do the first sentence and check if everyone understands. b) Give 4 to 6 minutes to complete. 2. Ss check their answers in pairs. 2. Play the audio 5.1. and ask Ss to check their answers.
1. Ask Ss to do exercise 5a. a) Do the first question and check if everyone understands. 2. Students check their answers in pairs. 3. Ask Ss to make sentences with the pictures and words on the board. a) Make one or two example sentences to show how they should work. 4. Take notes while Ss are practicing. a) write down the mistakes on the board and correct them with Ss.