TP 2 (10 Jan 2019)
To provide clarification and practice of Past Simple and Past Continuous in the context of a memory quiz.
To give students the opportunity to practice the pronunciation of the "-ed" endings of Past Tense verbs.
To give students the oppurtunity to review the construction of regular past-tense verbs.
Procedure (31-42 minutes)
1. Mime 'I called my wife yesterday.' 2. In groups, students take turn miming the verbs and the other ones guess. 3. Ask Ss which verbs were difficult to mime. 4. Write them on the board and explain that stative verbs are difficult to mime because they cannot show an action. 5. Write more examples of stative verbs: believe, mean, belong, own, suppose, prefer
1. Ask the following questions: a) who has a good and quick memory? b) what did you eat last Sunday? c) What was the first book you read? 2. Ss ask and answer the questions of the quiz on Language Focus (page 18). 3. When they finished, ask who had a good memory.
1. Ss listen to 5 people discussing the quiz and decide which question each speaker is discussing. While Listening, they can look at the quiz. 2. Check the answers with the class. 3. Ss read the questions in 3a and fill in the blanks. 4. Play the audio again and check the answers. 5. Ss underline 8 Past Simple verbs in 3a. Show and example. 6. Ss circle 7 Past Continuous verbs in 3a. Show an example.
1. While Students are doing 4a, write the following sentences on the board. a) I had an accident while I was crossing the street. b) While I was crossing the street, I had an accident. & a) When I was eating, my mom called. b) My mom called when I was eating. 2. Focus Ss on how while, when, and comma are used. 3. Ask Ss to study the Grammar Box. 4. CCQs: Draw a timetable and show the difference between the simple and continuous forms.
1. Ask Ss to close their books. 2. write these on the board and ask what sound they hear: played/ washed / needed 3. Give them the pronunciation table and ask to complete it whether individually or in pairs. 4. Give the answer key to check. 5. feedback- write the following wrong sentences on the board and asked them to correct them. a) I was ate yesterday when my mom telephoned me. b) While she did her homework I was watching TV.