Reading and vocabulary
To provide gist, scan and detailed reading practice using a text about A famous actor in the context of life events
To provide fluency speaking practice in a story telling in the context of life events.
To provide clarification and practice of life events in the context of life story.
Procedure (29-49 minutes)
- I use my personal pictures to set up the context: - I'll introduce my self and show a picture of my childhood to students. and stick that on the board. - I'm going to stick my pictures ( life story ) on the board and ask students to stand up and put them in order.
- for the first picture I'll write the sentence on the board : " I went to school. " ( 1994 ) - for the second picture I'll write: "I went to university." ( 2007 ) - for the 3rd/4th/5th pictures I'll try to elicit the word by showing the picture on the board. * 3rd - CCQs: did we see each other? did I talk to her? * Drilling + modeling * then I'll write it on the board : met my wife ( 2008 ) * 4th - CCQs: Are we a family? Is she my wife? * Drilling + modeling * then I'll write it on the board: I married her ( 2011 ) * 5th - CCQ: Did I finish university? * Drilling + modeling * then I'll write it on the board: I graduated from university (2012)
- I'm going to show them a childhood photo of Murat Yildirim, and ask them if they know him. - I'll give instruction for the activity: * you have 1 minute to read the text individually and answer who this child is. * ICQs: Is the text about this child? do you read or speak? - then I hand out papers. - I elicit the answer
- I'll give them the instruction: * I am going to give you some photos of Murat Yildirim, you should read the text again, and put the pictures in order. * ICQs: are these photos in order? are you going to put them in order? - then I'll give them photos. - In the end they have 1 minute to check their answers with their partners.
- I'll give them the instruction: * you have 4 minutes to read the text again, and complete the information about Murat Yildirim * ICQs: can you read the text again? do you complete the information card? - In the end they have 2 minutes to check their answers with their partners.
- they have 5 minutes to talk about their life story ( life events) with their partners. - If a person finished his speaking sooner, I'll change the seats, so he/she has the opportunity to listen and speak in another pair. - I'm going to give them delayed error correction. ( if necessary )