Listening - Do you like New Year?
To provide detailed listening practice using a text about "Do you like New Year?" in the context of talking about what people do in their home countries in the New Year.
Apart from improving the listening skill of Ss, there are two other goals: 1. Saying what you do in your free time 2. Talk about habits and customs.
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
- Show some photos related to fireworks and New Year ceremonies and elicit what they are. - Ask Ss if they like New Year or not and elicit their reasons. - Ask Ss what they and their family members do in the New Year.
- Write the words "Traditional, Holiday and Fireworks" on the board and elicit the following meanings: Traditional: something old that is handed down from age to age Holiday: a day on which you don’t go to work Fireworks: a small container filled with explosive chemicals that produce bright coloured patterns or loud noises when they explode - Tell Ss that you are going to listen to two people talking about New Year. - Ask Ss not to write anything and simply listen to the conversations for general understanding.
- Play the track and ask the following questions: 1. Does Min like New Year? 2. What about Paul? Does he like it? 3. How many New Years do people have in South Korea? 4. What do people do in Korea on the New Year Eve? 5. Do they eat anything special? 6. What do they eat? 7. Do people go to visit friends? 8. Where do they usually go? 9. Does Paul's wife like New Year? 10. What does Paul do in the New Year? 11. Does he sleep early? 12. Does he read a book or watch a film? 13. What does Paul's wife do? 14. Are they happy?
- Play the track again. Tell Ss to take notes when needed. - Pause the track at times to let Ss have time and take notes when needed. - When listening finishes ask the following questions: 1. What's the name of Korean New Year? 2. Is it a traditional event? 3. When is it? 4. How many days of holiday do they have for Seollal? 5. What they usually do? 6. Do they sleep late? 7. Where do they go? 8. Who come to her parents' house? 9. Do they play? 10. What do they play? 11. What is Yunori? 12. Do they wear special clothes? 13. What do they eat? 14. Is New Year a special event for Paul? 15. What does he do in the New Year? 16. When does he sleep? 17. Does he go out with his friends? 18. Does Paul's wife go out with him? 19. Does Paul's wife like parties? 20. Are both of them happy?
- Give the handout to the Ss and ask them to work in groups and circle the correct words from the conversations. - Give the transcript to the students and ask them to role play the conversations in pairs.